Monday, June 29, 2009

Capetown

The last week in Capetown was slightly awkward. The drive back to our house from the township was less than twenty minutes. It was difficult to be comfortable in a fully functioning city when there was a township with thousands of people with barely anything. One day we went to the mall near campus. I love to shop and so I thought I would really enjoy this. I was disappointed when most of the stores were high end stores. The mall had more expensive stores than the mall I shop at in LaCrosse, WI. I could not believe that a mall like this could be so close to a township and that the people living in this part out town could afford stuff like this. This just shows how much Apartheid separated everyone. It reminds me what NJ said on the first day that we were here, “just remember, you are in a 3rd world country with aspects of a 1st world country.”

No comments:

Post a Comment